Friday, January 30, 2009

The tonsils are out!

Monday I finally got my tonsils out, after 10 years of problems, i finally did it!
On Friday tom's mom came from AZ to help out. We had a great weekend. since Tom's bday was wednesday, she bought him the Wii early and we played all weekend! it was a blast and a great way to get my mind off my surgery. I played till my muscles were totally fatigued and sore, haha, i was really good at tennis, whiched totally freaked tom out that i could actually beat him. can't wait till i can get playing again! any recommendations on games we should get?
on monday morning , karen took me to the hospital. i was home about 3 hours later. with the drugs from surgery still running through me, i was in very little pain and thought recovery was going to be a peice of cake. then the pain meds made me sooo sick, i couldn't take them all night. tom called the next morning and they finally called in tylenol with codein for me. but it had been so long since i had taken anything, i could barely swallow any of it. something i hadn't expected was that my throat would totally swell up, it felt like it was the size of a pin hole and i was gagging and choking and gasping for breath, plus , i know this is TMI, but my throat totally filled up with gunk, i don't know what is back there since my jaw is still stuck shut, but there is some nasty stuff going on back there. i am easily grossed out so this was really hard for me. that night i finally asked tom to take me the hospital because i couldn't swallow any pain meds, and i felt like i was gunna die, so i thought i could just get an IV of meds. tom called the doctor and he told tom to play the bad guy and force the meds down me. i was crying and crying when tom told me that,but i swallowed little tiny sips, it took me like a half hour to swallow a couple tbs. then tom set his alarm for every 4 hours during the night so i would never skip a dose. oh, and they finally thought to tell me to put cold ice rags on my throat to reduce swelling, wish they had told me that earlier, it helped a ton. by the next day i was doing so much better. the swelling had gone down enough so i could eat some soup. the meds are not that strong, but they take the edge off. tom called today to ask them to call in something a little stronger, which they are going to do, now that i can eat alittle , they won't make me so sick.
i have been lying in bed mostly, but i can also get up and sit on the couch and play alittle bit with the girls. but the girls did great through all of this which has made me be able to relax. karen was amazing, i'm so glad she came out here. halle loved all the attention and new clothes and toys. she loved having someone give her everything she wanted and listening to her motor mouth. kiera loved grandma too. she is talking a lot now. i layed in bed upstairs and left my door open, so the girls could come in when ever and get on the bed with me and watch cartoon or look at books with me or just play in the room. but usually they just liked playing with grandma and dad. kiera totally accepted the fact that i wasn't doing a lot and she was sooo happy and cute, but when she needs something she asks tom. even if she is watching tv snuggled up with me. as soon as tom comes in the room she gets up and gives him her blanket, which mean, put me to bed. karen laid with halle every night till she feel asleep, cand met all her princess demands. karen also did 100 loads of laundry, cleaned, cooked, spoon fed me jello, kept cold rags on my neck, striped all the beds and washed sheets, changed diapers, did baths, meals, bottles, everything!! it was amazing to have her here!! she will be missed and the girls will be thrilled to see her kelly again at disneyworld this april!!
halle is glad that i can talk quietly again, so i am i, i really missed talking. i still can't move my jaw at all, so my talking is mumbled and quiet, but at least its better then writting messages for the first few days.
its supposed to take 2-3 weeks to get back to normal, so i am glad that everyday i am feeling a lot better. i am always starving and thristy. my stomach has shrunk to the size of a golf ball, so even though i can eat some soft food now, i can only eat a few bits. fast food commercials leave me drooling. i've lost a 6lbs in days, but i knew that was gunna happen so the weekend before the surgery, i totally stuffed my face with all my favorite foods, a weekend to remember!
well, i hope all this was worth it and i get less sore throats from now on...the dr. said they were some of the worst tonsils hes seen and were "cryptic and infected" ...gross!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Your whole ordeal sounds horrible! Isn't it amazing how much easier it is on kids? I've heard that it's horrible when you have to have them taken out as an adult...you've proved the stories right. I hope that you're feeling better soon. Isn't it amazing how your kids react to you not feeling well? I've been on bed rest for 2 weeks, and Isabella has been such a trooper. It's like she just knows that something is different, and for the first time, she's letting Chris help her with things. Feel better soon!

Mike and Jen said...

Would you hurry up and get better all ready I miss our daily rants!

Boyd Box said...

Glad you're getting better. I don't like surgery and I REALLY don't like things that mess with your throat, so I hope I never experience that!

On the Wii side...we LOVE our Wii!! We just got the Wii Fit, which is awesome! Come over (when you feel better/up to it) and you can play on ours if you want to try it out first. We also like Rock Band, Super Mario Cart, and Mario Party (which is like a board game w/o pieces to lose or children to eat/knock over). We have a couple other games, but those are our favs.