Monday, June 9, 2008

Livin' in the South

Living in the south is a new experience for me. well, living anywhere outside of UT and AZ is different for me. Our town isn't that small , but it has a small town feel to it sometimes. there is two things about it worth mentioning, one, it has the most churches per capita in the US, there are churches everywhere! Most everyone has a church they go to, I like that the town is religious and conservative. the second is that last year, Oprah did a feature on small towns, begining here, the "heart of GA" and filmed her favorite things episode here!
Raising kids in the south:
kids use "yes, ma'm or yes, sir" towards adults. I am not teaching Halle to do this, hopefully I stick with my plan to homeschool or she is going to come across as rude to her teachers. today in the car I asked Halle to climb out of her seat, she said, "yes,ma'm". i said, where did you learn that. she said from peggy. I thought it was funny. whenever we are around peggy and ruthie, halle uses the term "teetee" instead of "peepee" (that's what all the mom's here, including peggy, call it, except me, of course). She will use the term for awhile after we are away from them, too, its funny!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Homeschool? You are one brave woman--but you're supermommy, so of course it would probably be a breeze for you. As to So You Think You Can Dance, best reality show EVER. I loved it so much that when they did their tour and came through KC, Chris and I went and saw it. And it was AWESOME. And I don't even like concerts or big events like this. Granted, the average age of the crowd was somewhere around 16, but I was in heaven.

Boyd Box said...

Yeah, what's with the "teetee". I mean, how did that even get started? And, don't forget, on menus, you can order a strange veggie called mac-n-cheese. That's not a veggie anywhere but the south!!

Anonymous said...

my first visit to Lori's (by the way this is Lori's mom, my name isn't anonymous, but I'll computer illerterate to figure out how to do the username, etc,) anyway, I was in some Pigglie Wigglie grocery store, and I asked the butcher a SIMPLE chicken question. Well, when he started speaking, I am SURE I HAD this look on my face like "I know he's speaking English, but I don't understand a word he just said". It was incredible. I would love everyone calling me ma'am. When I was at Fort Irwin in Calf visiting Lori's sister, a little boy in the library called me Ma'am and I lite up like I was the Presidents wife. I loved it!!!!!!!!!